Advantages of the normal lens
A lens of normal focal length has several advantages over a lens that is
substantially longer or shorter.
1. A normal lens suits the requirements of most photographic situations.
It is ideal for the subjects that interest the majority of
2. It is usually faster than lenses of other focal lengths, allowing for
easier framing and focusing, higher shutter speeds to stop more action,
and full exposures under dimmer lighting conditions.
3. It is generally sharper and better corrected than telephoto, wide
angle and zoom lenses although the difference is usually quite small.
4. Even with its extra speed and clarity a normal lens is smaller and
lighter than any telephoto or zoom lens and most wide angel lenses.
5. For complex optical reason, normal lenses are able to focus much
closer than those of longer focal length. Although wide angle lenses
often have this ability too, their enormous depth of field makes precise
focusing more difficult than with normal lenses.
6. A seldom realized advantage is that the coverage of the average flash
has been matched to the field of view of the normal lens. In the typical
indoor situation in which flash is used, a telephoto lens is
impractical, a wide angle lens takes in more than flash covers
(resulting in light fall off in picture corners), but a normal lens is
7. A so called ever ready carrying case is designed to hold your camera
with its normal lens in place. In almost every instance other lenses
that may fit the camera will not fit in the case.
8. Besides all of the above advantages, normal lenses usually cost less
than lenses with other focal lengths. This is not because they are less
well made, but it is because they are made in large quantities.
Zoom lenses that cover both sides of normal range (35mm-70mm or even
28mm to 85mm) are becoming popular with some photographers as
substitutes for a 50mm unifocal (fixed focal length) lens. These zooms
certainly donít have all the benefits of a fixed normal lens, but they
do have some. In addition, they have flexibility, allowing you to crop
or expand the image in your viewfinder without moving the camera.
The one major drawback of a fixed normal lens is that, being a
compromise, it cannot be the best focal length for every photographic
situation. Some subjects simply demand longer or shorter lenses or
lenses with special features. The mid range zooms help the focal length
situation some, but even they donít go far enough in either direction to
eliminate the occasional need for additional lenses.
Normal Lens Features
Focal Length of Normal Lens
Typical Use of Normal Lens
Tips for using Normal Lens