Technique Tips: Using a portrait lens
Simple techniques can give you a variety of effects with a portrait
• Use the widest apertures for the softest, most romantic effects. These
are most often used for pictures that glamorize woman, but they do not
have to be limited to that.
• Emphasize wide aperture effect by including bright highlights in the
background – their light will be speard and softened along with the
• Use smaller apertures for greater clarity of detail. This kind of
sharper rendition is usually preferred for portraits of men.
• Background details will also be clearer at smaller apertures; make
sure they are appropriate to the subject.
• Do not limit this kind of lens to making portraits. Use its range of
effects with all kinds of single subjects; flowers, jewelry, sunsets,
and many others.
More about Special Purpose lenses
Tips on using Portraits Lens
Back to Camera Lens Features