Technique tips: Characteristics of long
Compared to a normal focal length lens, a long focus or a telephoto
1. Has greater magnification, a narrower field of view, less depth of
field, and a smaller maximum aperture.
2. Weights more and is physically longer.
3. Produces more noticeable image blurring from the same degree of
vibration or camera shake during exposure.
4. Requires a deeper lens shade for maximum avoidance of flare.
5. Is more likely to cause a slight bluishness in color images, and
therefore to require a skylight filter.
More about telephotos lenses
Short Telephotos Lens
Medium Telephotos Lens
Long Telephotos Lens
Mirror Lenses and Telescopes
Characteristics of Tele Lenses